Friday, August 24, 2012

Camping

The other fun thing we did on our vacation was go camping!  We have only gone once since Jocelyn's been born, and we sure didn't go the summer I was pregnant.  So we really haven't gotten much use out of our camping stuff recently!  And we could have taken Pat & Anita's camper, but I want Jocelyn to have a few years of tent camping before we woos out. :)  But you forget how much stuff you need to go, even just for 2 nights.  And next year we're going 3 nights, and in the middle of the week.  We went Thursday and Friday night, and Friday night was way too busy.  We went to Lake Wissota, which is just about 30 minutes away.  Perfect distance.
 
Putting up the tent - there were no fights or tears!  That's normally a stressful job.  But, we are getting another tent for the girls to sleep in.  It's just too crowded with all our air mattresses.
 
 Who doesn't wear striped knee high's and a skirt camping?








 It got pretty chilly both nights we were there.  I didn't bring a warm enough sleeping bag for Jocelyn, so she was up quite a few times in the night and woke up at 6:00!  This girl has never been up that early on her own.  Thankfully Calvin got up with her, and they went and sat by the fire.  This picture was at about 6:30.  Whew.  That would have been an awful day!  He put her back in the tent with me and we slept until 9:30.  That's more like it.
 
 
 We spent a lot of time bike riding and walking.  It wasn't very warm out, but perfect camping weather.  Jocelyn's still a bit slow on her bike, so I walked so I wouldn't have to constantly be telling her to hurry up.  Calvin and Kailee took the dogs and lapped us quite a few times!

 They have a nice playground there, so Friday we walked there to check it out.
 Even Calvin got in on the fun!


 We saw lots of cool bugs too!  Calvin found this cricket at the playground.  There were lots of daddy long leg spiders at our campsite, but I didn't get any pictures of them.
 We found these two caterpillars at the playground too.


 Poor moth with half its body missing

 She does like bugs, but this one was a little close!

 Not a bug, but wildlife.  Kailee and I also saw a racoon on one of our evening walks.  Thankfully no one saw any bears.





 Making pizza in the pie iron - not a big hit.  I thought they were good!




 We had fun at this little beach - the water was freezing, but good for throwing rocks and getting your feet wet.




 Since Calvin got up the first morning, I took my turn the second morning (however it was 8:30 instead of 6).  Look at the coffee and eggs I made!  I don't think I've ever lit the stove before (propane makes me nervous) but I really wanted some coffee.  And I couldn't be wimpy in front of the girls!


 We've had to resort to bribing Jocelyn with a silly picture if she'll smile for a nice picture first.

We all had a lot of fun, and the weather was beautiful.  The girls really had a good time, and it was good for the 4 of us to spend some quality relaxing time together...school starts soon!

No comments: