Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Not a baby anymore

I've finally come to the realization that Jocelyn isn't a baby anymore. This is a sad day! Of course it's so fun watching her grow and learn new things, but still a bit sad. She is starting the transition to the toddler room at day care. This has been a hard transition. Lately she's been really upset when other kids are around. She's fine if they don't come by her, try to touch her or play with her toys, but once they do she starts crying. At nursery she cries as soon as we walk in the room! Then she just sits on a chair and plays by herself the whole time. She's fine with older kids and adults, but kids her age she just doesn't like. I'm starting to stress out about it - even more so when her daycare teacher told me this morning she's never seen any other kid act like this before (she's been a teacher for about 15 years). Yikes! Who says that to a mom?

But, today she spent the whole day in the toddler room and did great! There were only 4 other kids there today, but she was good after about 45 minutes, and then played with dolls and did an art project. She ate a good lunch and ate well off her plate - no more high chairs in that room! She sleeps on a nap mat instead of a crib, and put herself to sleep and took a 2.5 hour nap. She was playing happily when I picked her up tonight. So, we'll keep doing things on our days off where she has to be around other kids, and I'm sure she'll get used to it eventually. I consider myself a pretty laid back mom, but this one has been tough for me.

No comments: